Takween Integrated Community Development (Takween-ICD) is an urban development firm established in 2009 in Egypt by a dynamic team with extensive experience, in response to a foreseen growing demand for innovative urban solutions in a world where it is predicted that by 2030, 60% of the world’s inhabitants will be living in urban centers. Takween-ICD specializes in the development of integrated packages in urban development services and solutions to support and complement efforts of tackling urban challenges. Takween-ICD provides project planning, design and implementation services to a range of local and international clients. Takween-ICD fields of interventions include integrated urban development and upgrading; heritage management and conservation; community development and mobilization; and direct involvement in participatory design and construction activities.
In January of 2020 Takween will be starting a new Project in Esna, Visit Esna. This project objective is to put Esna on the tourist map through a number of conservation, marketing and economic interventions.
Takween is hiring a Senior Architect to provide support to Takween-ICD urban development program in areas of research, documentation, design, execution, and communication activities. The Senior Architect will be engaged under the supervision of the Unit Manager in different project phases including mobilizations, assessment, planning and implementation. The Senior Architect is expected to work in a range of fields of interventions including urban upgrading, participatory design of public open space interventions, architectural design and detailed urban planning/redevelopment of existing urban areas.
- Collect and analyze extant literature, data and other relevant information that is focused on Takween-ICD fields of interventions
- Carry out field surveys and produce written and graphic documentation including written notes photographic documentations, videos, sketches, and measured drawings for buildings and public open spaces
- Identify potential partners and local stakeholders on the neighborhoods level, and engage in focus group meetings and interviews with different stakeholders to collect information required for the development of Takween-ICD projects
- Production of design proposals packages; 3D models, construction drawings, BOQs, working on development of the project’s initial studies; and strategic development options
- Coordinate and Manage effectively the different engaged consultants during projects activities and phases
- Manage workshops and seminars engaging local stakeholders, professionals, and public audience
Project Design and Implementation
- Conduct participatory design sessions with different stakeholders to assess their needs and inform the design process throughout different Takween-ICD projects
- Develop and produce in consultation with the Unit Manager planning and design alternatives, architectural drawings, technical specifications, technical manuals, bills of quantities, cost estimates and other required documentation for the development of Takween-ICD intervention packages
- Conduct in consultation with the Unit Manager capacity building to relevant stakeholders in fields of urban upgrading and heritage management throughout different Takween-ICD projects
Communication and Reporting
- Assist the Unit Manager in documenting project results and as-built drawings, and collecting written and graphic materials to produce different reports, communication materials and presentations
- Attend regular coordination meetings with project staff, consultants, donors, clients, and beneficiaries as required, and report on a regular basis progress of activities to the Unit Manager
- Assist the Unit Manager in designing, organizing, and publicizing different Takween-ICD workshops and seminars engaging local stakeholders, professionals, and public audience
- Actively engage under the supervision of the Unit Manager in communication activities and public debates initiated by Takween-ICD through its website, electronic campaigns, or social media platforms;
- B. Sc. in architecture/urban planning, or equivalent University degree in related area of study
- 10-15 years of working experience in urban development, urban upgrading and projects development (minimum 5 years in management position);
- Fair understanding of critical urban planning issues in the Egyptian context
- Familiarity with urban conservation, upgrading of informal areas, housing, and participatory planning issues
- Fluency in oral and written Arabic and English is a must;
- Excellent analytical and writing skills in Arabic and English is desirable;
- Strong interpersonal communications skills
- Excellent working knowledge MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe Creative Suite: (Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Premier), AutoCAD, Adobe acrobat professional, relevant 3D modeling and rendering software;
- Graphic design, photography and sketching skills are an advantage;
- Ability to work under high pressure and carry out multi-tasks in simultaneous projects;
- Self-motivation and willingness to learn;
- Creativity and ability to seek and explore innovative solutions
- Strong planning and organizational skills to cope with expected workload
- Accountability and high commitment to the company’s quality standards and code of ethics
- Effective communication of ideas and design solutions with clients and team members
- Active Listening: In addition to clearly communicating information to others, you must be able to understand what others are sharing with you.
- Problem Solving: Problems will inevitably arise during most projects. You must be able to quickly identify and then solve them to keep the project moving forward.
- Critical Thinking: Good problem solving requires the ability to evaluate possible solutions before choosing the most promising one.