Takween Integrated Community Development (Takween-ICD) is an urban development firm established in 2009 in Egypt by a dynamic team with extensive experience, in response to a foreseen growing demand for innovative urban solutions in a world where it is predicted that by 2030, 60% of the world’s inhabitants will be living in urban centers. Takween-ICD specializes in the development of integrated packages in urban development services and solutions to support and complement efforts of tackling urban challenges. Takween-ICD provides project planning, design and implementation services to a range of local and international clients. Takween-ICD fields of interventions include integrated urban development and upgrading; heritage management and conservation; community development and mobilization; and direct involvement in participatory design and construction activities.
In January of 2020 Takween will be starting a new Project in Esna, Visit Esna. This project objective is to put Esna on the tourist map through a number of conservation, marketing and economic interventions.
Provide technical assistance and supervise inhouse technical teams and external consultants --under the supervision of the Unit Manager-- to produce full and integrated architectural/urban design packages (from concept to tendering stages) in areas of architectural design, participatory design of public open spaces, urban upgrading, architectural/urban conservation, and urban planning/redevelopment of existing urban areas.
Program Management / Technical Responsibilities
- Supervise collection of primary/secondary data, documentation of the different targeted sites, field surveys, and analysis/assessment of the existing site conditions to produce accurate and reliable documentation packages (photographic, measured drawings, condition surveys, etc.) and site analysis studies.
- Lead participatory design sessions with the different stakeholders to assess their needs and secure their approvals to produce responsive design options.
- Supervise, review and approve –in consultation with the different project teams and consultants—the development of design options to produce environmentally / financially sound, and architecturally appropriate intervention packages (from concept to tendering stages) including design drawings, specifications, Bills of Quantities, Cost Estimates, etc.
- Conduct –under the supervision of the Unit Manager—negotiations and conflict resolution activities with the different stakeholders to ensure the effective implementation of activities and the timely execution of respective tasks and responsibilities.
- Develop –under the supervision of the Unit Manager— Requests for Proposals (RfPs) for the different projects’ consultants to ensure the clarity of the required scope and its compliance with the projects’ requirements.
- Interface with the different projects’ consultants and review/approver their work throughout the different design and implementation stages to ensure the quality and timeliness of their agreed deliverables as well as their compliance with the approved codes and building regulations.
- Supervise inhouse technical teams and external consultants to provide –in a timely and clear manner-- the implementation teams with accurate detailed drawings, written technical specifications and notes accompanying the drawings to reflect the proposed intervention methods and construction techniques, to comply with applicable safety requirements and by-laws; and to ensure the proper communication and the accurate implementation of approved intervention packages.
- Suggest and approve –under the supervision of the Unit Manager and in consultation with the implementation teams—materials and fixtures’ samples to ensure their fulfilment of the design objectives and compliance with the approved codes and building regulations.
- Ensure the proper documentation of before and after intervention conditions and of different design and implementation stages (through photography, videography, written narratives, drawings, etc.) to produce rehabilitation manuals, process documentation materials, as-built drawings, etc.
- Supervise and coordinate the development and implementation of technical capacity building workshops with local stakeholders to ensure the successful implementation and documentation of the workshops and the achievement of their planned objectives.
Administrative and Financial Management
- Review consultants’ contracts, requests for payments, and claims --in compliance with Takween and the clients’ policies and procedures—to ensure the proper management of consultants’ contracts and the timely implementation of the Unit activities.
- Supervise the archiving of the projects’ data (documents, drawings, sketches, filed notes, photographs, digital materials, etc.) to ensure the proper maintenance and accessibility of the projects’ archives.
Human Resource Management
- Oversee and evaluate the performance of subordinate staff and manage their workloads to ensure their motivation, their effective performance, and the proper implementation of the company's HR policies.
Communication and Reporting
- Track and report to the Unit Manager progress of technical activities through production and tracking of time schedules to: i) monitor technical progress vs. approved time schedules and budgets, ii) analyze the results based on the facts achieved, iii) forecast future technical achievements, and iv) carry out necessary adjustments and rescheduling to meet the Unit's scheduled objectives and deadlines.
- Supervise the preparation and timely submission of technical progress and final reports required by the unit management and the different project stakeholders to ensure the accuracy, quality and timeliness of the required reports and materials.
- Attend and conduct regular coordination meetings with project staff, consultants, and stakeholders as required; and report on a regular basis progress of activities to the Programs Director to ensure the timely and coordinated implementation of project activities.
Assistance to Higher Management Levels
- Participate in planning and formulating the Unit’s multi-year programs under the supervision of the Unit Manager and assist in preparing the Unit’s annual program of activities to achieve Takween’s overall goals and to achieve the Unit’s annual objectives.
- Assist the Unit Manager in monitoring, organizing and directing implementation of the Unit’s daily activities; supervise, coordinate and assign tasks to the Unit staff to ensure the quality of the results, compliance with the budget, and the timely completion of building activities.
- Assist the Unit Manager in estimating, forecasting, acquiring and allocating different resources required for the implementation of the Unit activities including physical and human resources in compliance with the approved headcount and annual programs to ensure that resources are appropriately utilized and workload is well balanced to achieve the Unit objectives in compliance with projects targets, deadlines and budgets.
- Assist the Unit Manager in the preparation of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) reports in accordance with the approved MEL plans, reports, site visits, projects presentations, and any related communication materials required for the good communication of the projects objectives, policies, activities and achievements to higher management and different stakeholders.
- Assist the Unit Manager in achieving the projects objectives through: i) dissemination and awareness activities; and ii) technical capacity building of the Unit staff to assist in achieving long-term sustainability of the projects’ activities
- Assess and control risk, forecast potential opportunities and threats facing the implementation of the Unit activities, and provide the Unit Manager with necessary advice to ensure that proper actions and preventive measures are timely taken.
- B. Sc. in Architecture, or equivalent university degree in related area of study
- 10-15 years of working experience in urban development, urban upgrading and projects development (minimum 5 years in management position);
- Fair understanding of critical urban planning issues in the Egyptian context
- Familiarity with urban conservation, upgrading of informal areas, housing, and participatory planning issues
- In-depth understanding of production and coordination of design packages, technical drawings, and tender documents
- Fluency in oral and written Arabic and English is a must;
- Excellent analytical and writing skills in Arabic and English is desirable;
- Strong interpersonal communications skills;
- Excellent working knowledge MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe Creative Suite: (Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Premier), AutoCAD, relevant 3D modeling and rendering software;
- Graphic design, photography and sketching skills are an advantage;
- Ability to work under high pressure and carry out multi-tasks in simultaneous projects;
- Self-motivation and willingness to learn;
- Creativity and ability to seek and explore innovative solutions
- Teamwork abilities and work collaboratively with other stakeholders and staff members
- Strong planning and organizational skills to cope with expected workload
- Accountability and high commitment to the company’s quality standards and code of ethics
- Effective communication of ideas and design solutions with clients and team members
- Active Listening: in addition to clearly communicating information to others, you must be able to understand what others are sharing with you.
- Problem Solving: problems will inevitably arise during most projects. You must be able to quickly identify and then solve them to keep the project moving forward.
- Critical Thinking: good problem solving requires the ability to evaluate possible solutions before choosing the most promising one.